Reading is so beneficial for children of all ages. I was inspired by some amazing moms to begin reading to our son while I was pregnant. Once he was born, I made it a priority to continue to do so. Some of the books that we read to him as a small baby are currently some of his favorites as a toddler. It always amazes us when we see him grab a book on his own, sit down and go through it like he’s reading or point to the words/pictures and wait for us to respond.
Try to make reading interesting and fun! Here are a few ideas:
- Read during baths, meals and/or bedtime
- Switch up the books that you read
- Get new books occasionally
- Give your child a book during long car rides or trips to the store
- Play guessing games while going through the books
- Take time to go though the pictures, colors, shapes, letters, etc.
- Sing, make noises and act out stories- it’s okay to be dramatic lol
- Make a trip to the library or bookstore and let your child pick out their own book
“The more that you read, the more that you’ll know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go.”
- Dr. Seuss